MONKTON ELM’S ENVIRONMENTAL POLICIES
The environment is very important to us, so we take many steps to minimise our impact on the environment throughout all areas of our business...
- Each year we recycle over 7 tonnes of cardboard and 2 ½ tonnes of soft plastic
- Rigid plant trays are offered to customers to carry their plants home in, those that are not reused are sent for recycling.
- Cardboard boxes that our stock arrives in, are offered to customers to take their shopping home in. All leftover cardboard is bailed and
- Our plastic carrier bags are made from bio-degradable plastic, or alternatively we sell re-usable canvas shopping bags.
- All scrap paper is placed in an on-site paper recycling bin, which is also available for customers to use.
- We also have a recycle bin for clothing in our car park. All our old uniforms were sent to Africa via this bin.
- We offer a used battery disposal facility in-store.
- We mainly stock timber products with FSC certification.
- We promote the sale of reduced peat products in line with government guidelines.
- Wherever possible we stock plants from local growers, minimising the pollution from delivery vehicles.
- Our other growers mostly demonstrate sustainable business practices.
- All meat, fruit and vegetables are locally sourced.
- All other food in the Restaurant is supplied by west-country suppliers.
- We have a policy to stock products from local suppliers wherever possible.